Monday, 18 April 2011

Interview with Ruthless MC

Andrew Alleyne, aka Ruthless MC, is a name regularly seen on Hospital flyers and at Nottingham's popular monthly Drum and Bass night, Detonate.  After being picked up by SP:MC and Chris Goss he has been performing to crowds as large as 6000 along side some of the biggest DJs in the world, including DJ Marky and Wilkinson.  With upcoming tour destinations like Austria, London and Newcastle, Liv Duracell caught up with him to see what is the stupidest thing he has ever agreed to do, his favourite lyrics and his biggest challenge as an MC.


·   As a regular MC for Nottingham’s biggest night, Detonate, you also play the hugely popular Thursday night Dogma.  Do you personally prefer to play to a crowd of thousands, or a smaller club and why?

RMC: Personally, I usually find the smaller clubs are more intimate, the crowd are closer to you and you can generally get more of a vibe more from them. From a ravers point of view I always enjoyed seeing my favourite DJs/MCs up close and personal. Dogma never ceases to amaze me, especially the amount of people that venture out on a Thursday night to rave hard to their favourite DJs. Detonate is most definitely one of the best club nights in the country and the crowd are always up for it going hard till 5am every time. I generally try and adapt to my surroundings. I’ve played raves all over the world so experiencing that has helped me endlessly.

·   What has been your biggest challenge as an MC?

RMC: For me it’s been juggling everything else with my MC work; I have my daughter and a full time job with long hours to juggle alongside it. People close to me will tell anyone my life’s pretty hectic and I try and fit sleep into the equation when I can.  Usually I have to push myself to get up for work after busy weekend of raves and having my daughter. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to knock my job off and mc full time - that’d be my dream.

·   What is the weirdest thing anyone has ever said to you at a show?

RMC: I had someone who wanted to MC come and ask me if he could s**t on the mic. After laughing I politely refused to pass him the mic. I’ve also had someone at a rave be sick on my jeans but that’s another story.

·   Have you got any interesting warm up techniques before getting on stage?

RMC: Usually if I’m on a solo journey in the car I practise my rhymes and sing to try and get the vocal chords warm. I’ll do this at home before I leave if I’m with travelling with others. I’m sure they wouldn’t want to hear my voice/rhymes constantly during road trips as this would drive them mad. I also drink plenty of water and green tea and I try to avoid alcohol before a gig.

·   You’re well known for being one of Hospital’s resident MCs after being discovered by SP:MC and Hospital’s co-founder Chris Goss.  Tell us something interesting you’ve found out recently about any artists that may surprise us?

RMC: Logistics is a dab hand at pottery; Chris Goss is a keen fisherman and owns his own boat. Ha ha! That’s jokes guys. They’re all pretty down to earth guys. Thing with Hospital is it’s like one big family, very well run and they look after the artists. I’m very lucky to be part of something that is 15 years strong and still moving upwards. If I did have any stories, what happens on tour stays on tour. Ha!

·   Have you ever successfully used your lyrics as chat up lines?

RMC: No I have never tried ha ha! I’m yet to use the “do you know who I am” line. That would be super cheesy, I am quite shy so generally don’t do the chatting up thing.

·   What has been the stupidest thing you’ve ever agreed to do?

RMC: On a drunken night round a friend’s house I agreed to run the width across the plastic sheeting that was laid out over his swimming pool. I just made it even though one of my trainers got wet. It’s not about getting your kicks wet. Looking back now I don’t know how I managed to do it in the state I was in. My friends still reminisce and laugh about it. I was lucky not to get caught in it and drown. Don’t try that at home people.

·   Favourite lyrics of all time?

RMC: Wow, that’s a toughie. There’s 2 many to mention. I was into rap music before drum and bass listening to everything from Public Enemy to Biggie Smalls. One I can think of right now is Biggie Smalls from Warning. Which is “It’s the ones that smoke blunts with ya, see ya picture. Now they wanna grab they guns and come and get ya.” The whole tune is just sick from start to finish. Love it.

·   Where do you see yourself in 10yrs time?

RMC: In the garden barbeque, music on chilling with the family on a leisurely flex. Whether I’m still involved in music in one form or another who knows. Mystic Meg, give me a call ha ha!

·   What would you have been doing now if you had not been answering these questions?

RMC: Chores around the house most likely, thanks as I get to skip them for a while.

Quick fire:

  • Coffee or tea? 
Tea

  • Fabio or Grooverider? 
Fabiooooooooo

  • Vinyl or CDJs? 
Vinyl

  • Last thing you brought? 
Bread, bagels, milk and custard creams

  • If you could have access to any DJ/Producer’s music collection who’s would it be? 
Calibre, bare tunes

  • What was your new year’s resolution this year? 
To work harder

  • Any final words for fans out there? 
I have fans? Ha ha! Just keep supporting drum and bass and thanks for your support. Also, I’ll be at Hospitality Newcastle 29th April & Detonate Indoor Festival on 1st May.

Follow ruthless_mc on twitter or on facebook HERE.

OX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Loading...